This recipe symbolizes the close cultural and epicurean ties between the Russian and Ukrainian people. Let them eat borscht and let peace spread across the land.
Vegetarian Borscht (Beet Soup)
A simple recipe for vegetarian borscht soup. This beet soup is light and hearty at the same time. Fresh beet greens add more nutrients and flavor. Serves 6-8.
Category Classic One-Pot
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 45 minutes
Calories 203 kcal
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3-4 small yellow onions, finely chopped (300 g)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp soft brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 bunches beets (6 medium/900 g), cut in 1cm pieces
- fresh beet greens, stems removed and chopped (optional)
- 1 medium carrots, finely diced
- ½ red cabbage, shredded (300 g)
- 6 medium tomatoes, chopped (700 g)
- 6-8 cups of water, vegetable or chicken broth
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (unfiltered)
- handful fresh dill, finely chopped
- 100 ml Greek or natural yoghurt
- fresh or creamed horseradish, to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium, sauté the onion and garlic over until tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, allspice (Piment), sugar and cubed beets and continue to sauté, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrot, cabbage, tomatoes, and the water or broth. Bring to a light boil and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender; about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Add the vinegar and season with more salt and pepper, to taste. If you are using fresh beet greens, add them to the soup and cook a further couple minutes, until wilted.
- Stir in half of the fresh dill and then serve into bowls. Garnish with a dollop of yoghurt mixed with horseradish to your taste. Top with the remaining dill. Enjoy!
- This beet soup is vegan by nature. To garnish the borscht choose a vegan yoghurt or sour cream equivalent.
- In the winter months, canned tomatoes can be used instead of fresh. Use 2 x 400 g cans of organic chopped tomatoes.
- Feel free to serve this soup with sour cream or creme fraîche instead of yoghurt.